This page discusses the new requirements I’m adding to cover ASMTA Regional Festival preparation. The Arkansas State Music Teachers Association sponsors this festival in the spring. Its next occurrence is on Saturday, April 18, 2020. This page solely addresses the need to upgrade to a 45-minute lesson or enroll in the ASMTA Supplement. If you want to know more about the particular requirements for the festival, go to this page.
After two years of preparing piano students to participate in the ASMTA Regional Festival, I have concluded there is no way to prepare for it based solely on a 30-minute weekly lesson. In the past, I did this by giving extra lesson time, doing correction of theory papers at home on my own time, and offering a Saturday class in which we go through the extras required beyond simply playing pieces. All on my own dime.
You are welcome to upgrade from a 30-minute to a 45-minute lesson for the entire spring semester, in which case we can do all of the preparation as part of the lesson. The large group class will just be a bonus! Or, if you’d rather go the budget option, choose the ASMTA Supplement. (By comparison, most of the other teachers participating in the ASMTA Regional Festival only offer 45 or 60 minute lessons. If they do offer 30 minute lessons, they require extra resource time that is built into the lesson price.)
The ASMTA Supplement will be available in the new year for $100, billable on January 1st, but payable by no later than the end of the month. You can also spread the payment out to $35 per month, billable on the first day of January through March, and payable no later than the end of each month. You can combine this payment with your tuition. The ASMTA Supplement will provide you with a combination of the following types of activities:
- Private preparation – 15 or 30 minutes of resource time in addition to your normal lesson time
- Small Group preparation – 30 or 45 minutes of resource time with one or two other students at or near your level
- Large Group preparation – We’ll gather on a Saturday (typically) for two hours, typically a month before the festival, to play for each other and do a final drill of all of the elements. If we need to do it a second time, that will be a bonus!
- Correction of theory papers on my own time instead of during your lesson
- Preparation of work stations and supplemental materials to use before or after your normal lesson time
This is the first year I have asked parents to chip to cover ASMTA Regional Festival preparation. I purposely set the price low because I don’t want anyone to feel that they were cheated. It’s impossible to calculate exactly how much time each student will need. Some students will need less prep time, and others more. I want to be able to give enough time to everyone, with the final goal being to get everyone beyond the minimum passing score of 80%. If you have any concerns, please let me know.